Asking "Why?" : The Human Form

Asking "why?" was a massive part of my project. As it is primarily based around people I decided to work with the human form. I wanted to see how we worked and why me moved and made decisions the way we do. I then began work on the human form, working with the patterns of the brain, the eye, folds of skin, the hands etc. I began to dissect them, recording their insides, how they work in my notebook and discovering how we all move and work. I began to focus in the ideas of the hand. Hands touch us all in every way; they often lend a helping hand, a means for stability and connected us all, physically. Couples hold hands to show perhaps affection and belonging, contentment. Parents hold their children’s hand as a means of protection. I wanted to explore this connection further; taking apart the human hand, using my influence from Cathy Prendergast and creating new forms. I cross-referenced works of Cathy Prendergast in relation with my own, to creation something new. I also picked some flowers form my garden, something so innocent and pure, a true reflection of beauty and crossed it with the hand of a human being. Hands, although as helpful as I said, can also be the cause of pain for so many, they can hit, scratch, claw, hurt the human, and this violence in particular can be seen more prominently in the urban environment. In this way, I hope to highlight such a problem.



I am working once again with the human form, working with textures and textiles that relate to the human form, using the idea of the muscles, the folds of the skin, the bones etc. Also, I am working with the conclusion to my main message of the destruction of beauty in relation to the urban environment I am doing a series of paintings to reflect the isolation I often feel while living in the urban environment and being succumbed to the ideology of “Commercial Beauty” and the effect it causes; destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment